Saturday, September 20, 2008

revisting an old friend

| |


I was at a little local bookstore and they had Kurt Vonnegut's last book "A Man without a Country" on sale from $23.95 to $8.95! Of course I bought it, but when I started reading it was as if I was reading Vonnegut for the first time. I don't know what it is, but this man does it for me, he's incredible. Don't believe me, read his books- or ask Quinn he can back me up big time.

I remember the first book I ever read from him, or rather listened to. I bought "Breakfast of Champions" to listen to while I drove from San Francisco back to school. Within the first five minutes I was hooked! I remember stopping and rewinding just because I couldn't believe how brilliant he was. He has this magic way of writing that is so simple/ concise, yet profound and hilarious. I listened to it twice.

When Heath Ledger died I felt bad, but not that bad. When I found out Travis Barker was in a plane crash, it mildly affected me, but when Kurt Vonnegut died I was heart broken. I was so upset/ shocked. More shocked than Heath Ledger and Vonnegut was an old man, Heath was so young. I have since thought about why I was so affected by his death, and I think the reason is that I feel like I discovered Vonnegut for myself, I uncovered the treasure of his literature. It wasn't recommended to me, I happened upon it myself and he was mine. And the reason his death shocked me so much is that it happened no more than a year after my first encounter with him. After reading Breakfast of Champions I moved to Cat's Cradle, Bluebeard, Slaughter House Five, Bagombo Snuffbox. He was my most current obsession and he died at the peak. He died before I could get sick of him. He died soon after our book club had contacted his secretary. He died days after I had been to his website to buy one of his screen prints, which to this day I regret procrastinating about. I remember within hours of hearing about his death I went to the website to buy the print I wanted and the website had been shut down. I had missed my opportunity to own something that Vonnegut himself had touched. My dad once gave an autographed copy of Breakfast of Champions to an ex-girlfriend, and I regret that decision for him....

Anyway, back to "A man without a country".....so it's been a while since I have sat down with a Vonnegut book, any book for that matter- school has robbed me of that luxury. But once I started reading it, it was as if I was reading Vonnegut for the first time. Within seconds I interrupted Dan's own book reading to say, "Dan listen to this" and proceeded to read him sentences from the book. Then I say, "ah! he's just so good, just how he writes! he's so so good!"

R.I.P. Mr. Vonnegut, you have changed my life and I am sorry I could never do the same for you.

6 thoughts:

manda said...

i feel myself loving him just from your love for him!
i wish i could snuggle up to you.

The Gorbott said...

he actually just had a posthumous book released that was edited by his son Mark Vonnegut (who also authored the book The Eden Express). It includes unpublished short fiction as well as the speech that his son gave that KV would have given to commemorate the year of Vonnegut, had KV been alive. It's excellent. The speech blew my mind all over again. *sheds tear*

The Gorbott said...

oh yeah, its called "Armageddon in Retrospect."

samsam said...

1. i need to read armageddon in retrospect.
2. i read "a man with out a country" this spring and it WAS INDEED amazing! apparently they say its the closest thing to an autobiography we'll get from him. i loved all his abe lincoln quotes and am thinking they will be my next blog post.
3. i love you so much.

The Gorbott said...

for more autobiographical work by KV see Palm Sunday as well as Fates Worse Than Death. Both include essays, speeches as well as very personal writing, including a description of a half-hearted suicide attempt in the 80's and a brief stay in the loony bin.

caitlin said...

quinn's the best.