Tuesday, September 23, 2008

chinese milk scare

| |

Apparently there has been an outbreak of tainted milk in China, 52,000 babies have been poisoned by the melamine found in the milk. Melamine is some sort of plastic substance found in cleaning products and dry erase boards- had to wikipedia that one. Scary huh. But you know what else is scary?

"Non-tainted" all-American healthy milk contains puss, measurable amounts of pesticide, dioxin, 59 hormones, and 52 anti-biotics. Dr. Spock (the baby guru) cautioned that milk given to babies can cause allergies, anemia, and set the kids on a path to diabetes and heart disease. Milk actually leaches calcium from the bones and so yes, it causes osteoporosis. Did you know that there is more calcium in spinach than milk? So when I say I don't drink milk, don't ask how I will save my bones, I am more scared for you. Still don't believe it? That's because the advertising for the milk industry is out of this world, but I will put my money with the Harvard study that found milk to be more detrimental to the bones than beneficial. Oh and Casein, the protein found in milk and cheeses- actually fuels cancer cell growth!

Need other reasons? How about the dairy industry is the NUMBER ONE cause for global warming. And the amount of land we use to farm feed for cattle could be used to grow food for thousands of people. But they dairy industry is just too lucrative, so we ignore all that.

And one more thing, cow's milk is for baby cows, would you breast feed your kittens human milk? Stupid huh, well why do we think it is so natural to drink the breast milk of another animal. We are the only species to do that. And the only species who drinks milk into adulthood. Milk is for babies, biologically, so why are we convinced that if we ween ourselves off of it that our health will fail? Advertising.

So while I feel horrible for what has happened in China, I feel just as horrible for the millions of Americans who drink buckets of milk every day.

K...sorry for that long rant, I know I have posted about this before, but it is something that I feel so passionate about that every once in a while I can't keep quiet. And I am not crazy, do the research.

1 thoughts:

Kristi H. said...

I enjoyed this post... maybe I won't give the cow's milk another try. Soy is working out just fine for us!