Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

| |

We started out the morning with a Thanksgiving service at St. Paul's Cathedral. It was beautiful, and the American ambassador shared President Obama's Thanksgiving message. I felt quite patriotic despite being in another country.


Our friends came over later in the evening for our non-traditional Thanksgiving supper. Never mind the fact that our menu was slightly nontraditional, Dan and I were the only Americans (we had a Scot, a Brit, a Swede, and Welshman).

The "I am Grateful Jar" game was lots of fun and surprisingly very difficult. For instance, Dan wrote that he was grateful for- Bubbles, Smiles, and Music...whhhaaa?! Ok the last one I would have gotten, but for the first two I pegged our friend Ellerie. 

We also celebrated the evening with newspaper pilgrim hats, courtesy of Dan. Overall it was a wonderful evening, and since my dinner was sans tryptophan, I still have a ton of energy. 

Here are some photos from the night, as well as my tight-budget Thanksgiving decor.

I used the free fabric as a table runner, then with some extra fabric cut out leaves to pin with the "I am grateful for" cards


I found some leaves on the street, piled them in a vase, and voila I had a decoration






We only have four chairs, so we had to use our office chair and our giant sofabed chair.


Our table was too tiny for food, so I got out my ironing board, used more free fabric, and turned it into a buffet table. The other table is our coffee table...improvisation people!

This is Dan, very seriously, leading the Grateful Jar game

and friends participating
 clean up

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!


0 thoughts: