I never really understood Guy Fawkes Day and frankly even after spending Guy Fawkes Day in London, I still don't. I even just Wikipedia'ed it right now and it still doesn't make much sense. Basically Guy Fawkes was involved in an attempt to blow up parliament, I guess we are celebrating the fact that he was arrested and it was a failed attempt? If anyone knows better, please enlighten me.
Anyway, here in London Guy Fawkes day is celebrated with fireworks. I was secretly hoping that the celebrations included everyone donning a Guy Fawkes mask, but no such luck. Apparently the only people wearing Guy Fawkes' masks on Guy Fawkes Day were the occupiers at St. Paul's Cathedral.
Anywho, I spent Guy Fawkes day at lunch and a play with a lovely couple whom I was introduced to by mutual friends. They have lived in London for the past 35 years, so they had some good advice and tips for me. The play we saw was called The Kitchen and it had an amazing set and choreography (it wasn't even a musical).
Afterwards, I walked by the river and enjoyed a beautiful sunset.
Dan spent the day at a rugby match with school friends
After my stroll and their rugby match, we all met up in the park for fireworks.
Happy Guy Fawkes Day




0 thoughts:
Post a Comment