Dan and I weren't really planning on doing Thanksgiving this year, not for any reason in particular, just because we hadn't thought of it. Well yesterday I got to thinking, for once I actually have time on my hands. So often in architecture school, I would think about the fun crafts I would make and parties I would have if I wasn't so busy working my hiney off. So there you go, we're having some friends over for Thanksgiving.
Being that we have little time before Turkey Day and we're on a tight budget, I had to get creative.
First, I found this fabric in the dumpster...
No before you get all judgmental on me and think, WTF, THE DUMPSTER!? This was a dumpster behind a textile warehouse. I found it randomly and the thing was chalk full of fabric, and only fabric. So there was no food waste or vermin, and this particular piece was on the very top of the pile- thank you very much.
Using the fabric as inspiration, I quickly threw together little invites
and place cards/ "I am grateful for" cards that will go in the "I am Grateful for Jar". The I am Grateful For Jar is a little game I made up 10 hours ago. Basically everyone writes three things they are grateful for. They can be random, but must be true, and then we pull them out of the jar and have to guess whose it is. For example, mine might say, "I am grateful for squirrels"- It's random, true, and you may never have guessed it.
Now for the hard part, the menu. I don't eat meat, dairy, or gluten. Another in our party can't eat nuts, lentils, soy products, or sesame. So say goodbye to the traditional Thanksgiving fare of turkey, stuffing, or mashed potatoes & gravy. Also, I still don't have bakeware, nor a lot of the substitute items I am accustomed to from the US, so it may get tricky. Here's what I am planning for the menu:
Soup: Leek, Parsnip, Shallot, and Roasted Cauliflower
Main: Mushroom Stroganoff with a GF pasta
Sides: Green Beans
Roasted Beets & Potatoes
Dessert: My guests will provide.
I will let you know how it goes!
3 thoughts:
your? you're...?
grammar caitie!! <3
whaaa? where did I write that?
haha, the invite!!
Post a Comment