Q: you may have already talked about this in your blog but I can't recall: Do you plan to raise your (future) kids on a vegan diet? Just curious on your thoughts.
A: Good question! Dan and I have talked a lot about this actually.
short answer: yes
reason: in my personal research and experience I believe a vegan diet to be the healthiest and most ethical choice. (if anyone wants me to expound on those claims I can dedicate a post to you too!) For that reason, I can't imagine encouraging my children to eat things that I feel are unhealthy and unethical.
longer answer: but, at the same time, i don't want my children to feel isolated from the rest of their friends, or force them to conform to my ideas, so what Dan and I have talked about is continuing to eat vegan at home, and we will teach our children why we eat this way, but let them eat what they want outside the home, and give them the choice.
Friday, February 27, 2009
for kristi :)
|
|
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 thoughts:
Caitlin--if I were to ever go vegan or even completely vegetarian (I can't commit, but we rarely cook with meat as it is so I haven't really taken the time to try), it would probably be because you make the best and most respectful case for it. I just thought I'd let you know.
I know I don't need to mention this to you, but it's important that kids get enough B vitamins in their diet, for instance, as well as fat, which plays a vital role in brain development. I will personally try to get my future wife to breast feed until the kid's 4, but if that doesn't fly, which it probably won't, I'll be okay with my kid eating chicken nuggets or whatever garbage kids have a taste for, under the principle that humans are more important than animals. But I will also try to raise my kids vegetarian and as vegan as possible. I'm just thinking of my niece who wanted to be vegetarian but is too picky for her parents to be okay with it.
humans definitely take priority over animals, but given that my main reason for veganism is health, i will try to raise my kids as vegan as possible.
with that said, i know kids can be picky, therefore, i am hoping i can make "junkie" vegan food for them that will satisfy their fatty/salty/sweet cravings, but if thats not enough and they want real junk food at their friend's house I won't blame them.
and for when they are really young when proper balance of nutrients is vital, i will probably be reading a bunch of vegan parenting books.
Thanks for the reply! That is a wise answer...I think its important to have balance when you're raising kids. You do the best you can for them at home, and hope that they make good choices away from home, allowing them the freedom to form their own opinions. You'll both be great parents someday!
Post a Comment