Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I'm vegan and you can too

| |

You don't know how many times I find myself in a conversation that goes something like this:
them: Tell me why you are vegan/ how you became vegan after growing up on a high protein diet
me: explain, explain, explain
them: that makes a lot of sense, i would totally do it BUT: i just don't have the willpower, or i don't know what i would eat, or i am too busy, or i just can't give up meat/cheese.

Well i have something to say, and it may sound trite, but i mean it in all honesty. If I can do it, so can you. I am weak duckling with little self control-give me a box of cereal and I can't restrain myself. So I have decided to list tricks and tidbits that have made veganism a piece of cake for me, a delicious piece of dairy free german chocolate (see post below).

Note: these postings aren't to convince anyone to become vegan, or make anyone feel bad for not wanting to. i just want to show people how simple it can be.
Also note: I am not a perfect vegan, nor would I ever pretend to be.

So without further ado, I present VEGAN MADE EASY
tip #1: when first starting out, don't skip meals or let yourself go hungry. you will be too tempted to waiver. (after a while the temptation is replaced with apathy is replaced with dislike). Soon you will be able to walk through costco and not give the meat/cheese samples a second glance.

tip#2: My SF roommate and vegan missionary Mindy (xoxo) told me this when I first decided to change my ways. I thought she was crazy, but when I didn't heed her advice and saw the repercussions I knew she was totally right. Be very cautious about who you reveal your veganism to. At least at the beginning...people think you are wacko!

tip#3: When trying veganism for the first time give it a good 2 to 4 weeks before you decide its not for you

I will stop there, I don't want to spoil all the fun.

0 thoughts: