Tuesday, May 17, 2011

why I am so ready to graduate.

| |

I have loved architecture school.  I love the friends I have made, I love being surrounded by so many creative minds, I love creating and designing.  I even love those frustrating, hair-pulling, I want to die, and I am crying because all I want to do is sleep moments, because it makes the final product so satisfying.  So if I have loved school so much, why am I sooo ready to graduate?

The following has been my life:

  • 4 years of undergraduate schooling
  • Immediately after college, I move to Boston for an intensive summer program at Harvard
  • Literally the weekend I get back from Boston, Dan and I get engaged. 
  • That next week Dan moves to London for 3 months
  • That year I take physics, calculus, design classes, work two jobs, plan a wedding all by myself, prepare a portfolio, and apply to 10 grad schools
  • We get married in May and go on a week long honeymoon
  • Right after, we pack all our things and drive a Uhaul and our car to Palo Alto for a second reception.
  • Then we continue in our Uhaul up to Oregon
  • I start school one week later
  • We become apartment managers 3 weeks after that and have to move our things again
  • 3.5 years of intense schooling, with no summer vacation (I took studio both summers), apartment managing, a church calling, and a GTF position. 
So basically, I haven't had a break, I have been running at a full sprint for the last 4.5 years. Japan was probably the closest thing to a real vacation, but even then I was taking 3 classes. 

So I guess I am not excited to leave school, but more excited to sleep, work 9-5, and have weekends free- where I am not tied to school or apartment managing. I am happy I don't have to sprint anymore. I am happy I will no longer fluctuate between robot-mode and panic-mode. 

I know life will still be hectic,  I need a bit of hecticness in my life, but it will be a normal hecticness- like a jog with a few sprints here and there. I am excited for that. 

1 thoughts:

angela hardison said...

wow, that's a lot of schooling! i almost died with just 4 yrs of intensive design school. good for you. seriously, what an accomplishment!