Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday

| |

I have never understood Black Friday. Don't get me wrong, I loooove discounts, but I don't looooove discounts to the point that I will subject myself to suffocating crowds, hours of waiting, and disorganized display cases.  Plus if my time is money, which my dad says it is, I might actually end up 'spending more money' on Black Friday then saving it.   Also, is there anything else that I really need?  This mentality may change when I have kids, or a house that needs furnishing, but now I would rather sleep in and lounge around the house. Which is exactly what we did.

We woke up at 1 p.m., yes, 1 in the afternoon! It was amazing and wonderful, and much needed. Then we ran to our favorite market for some beverages. Then cleaned the Thanksgiving-kitchen-mess while listening to the musical talents of Franki Valli and the Four Seasons and Otis Redding. Then decorated for Christmas! Wooo!

To prove how much I actually like saving money, I will show you how I prepare for Christmas, on the cheap.


1. Christmas lights: go to the thrift store, you can find all sorts of lights for a few bucks.  Just test them in an outlet at the store.



 2. Twine. Twine might be the second most important invention, next to the clothespin. You can use it for tying presents, for decorating your fish bowl, and keep it for use all year-round.  Can you use xmas ribbon for around-the-house projects? I didn't think so.
3. Typically, I believe in splurging and getting a real tree, who wants a plastic tree?! Well when you live in a small apartment and won't actually be home xmas day, I do.  But don't buy a new plastic tree, that's the beauty (and nightmare) of plastic, it lasts forever.  A plastic tree from the 90s is just as good as a plastic tree in the 10's (that's what I am calling this decade), so pick one up from the thrift store. This one cost me 3$.

4. While you are at the thrift store, find a nice looking tree topper, for 75 cents.
5. Think ahead.  I bought theses Balls and Birds (that's what I'm calling them) from Target last year, about a week after Christmas.  They were 75-90% off, and I just stored 'em away for next year. 

6. Buy wrapping paper that you can use all year round.  This paper I bought from IKEA (super cheap) and I have used it for birthdays as well as holidays.  Add some twine and you have one pretty package. I also like to use recycled newspaper and paper grocery bags.  


7. Splurge and get a REAL wreath for your door (or get one from the thrift store, or make your own).  Every year we get the eucalyptus wreath from Trader Joe's.  It smells like heaven, or Vix Vapor Rub, whichever you prefer.   
Do you have any other Holiday money saving tips to share?

3 thoughts:

angela hardison said...

i don't understand black friday either. the "deals" are so not worth the hassle.

anyway, that wreath looks amazing! wondering if my trader joe's has it..

April said...

No kidding, amiga, Black Friday is a terrifying and even sickening concept to me. Yikes.

You make me miss thrifting SOOO bad!! And Target! And Sundance! (It's our neighbor, back in the Eug. Lucky us.)

To answer your question, I love the look of presents wrapped in newspaper comics. I add some red velvet ribbon and a pinecone : )

caitlin said...

pine cone, brilliant!!!!