Sunday, December 9, 2007

Milk...does my body bad

| |

I have previously claimed that since going a vegan nearly two years ago I have developed a milk allergy. I haven't been to the doctor and don't have any hard evidence to support this claim, but the minor throat swelling after eating small amounts of dairy gave me cause to believe I was allergic. Well now I am absolutely 100% convinced (maybe 99% since I still haven't been tested).

Evidence 1
This is me almost two years ago (that is not soy ice cream). This photo was taken about two months after my conversion to veganism. I was told that Mitchell's had the best ice cream in SF so I gave in. I may look awful in this photo, but the next morning and weeks to follow I looked even worse- for I developed a terrible cold.



Evidence 2
This week while in Paris Dan and I decided to finish our vegan friendly lunch with a warm bowl of lentil soup. I was skeptical at first because it smelled like cream, but then thought, "nah, who puts cream in lentil soup." DUH! the French! Needless to say I have had a bad cold for the past 5 days. I must also note that this is the first time I have been sick since that evening at Mitchell's.

So there you have it. I am allergic to milk, my body has officially rejected this bovine beverage. The good news is milk disgusts me anyway. I have said it before and I stand by this claim. If I had to choose between eating a steak and drinking a glass of milk...I'd go for the steak.

2 thoughts:

Nate H. said...

Milk tastes rotten to me. I've had to use my parents' 1% a couple times when we ran out of soymilk. I'll take water now if that happens again.
Also, cheese makes me constipated.

neongolden said...

I feel like that happens whenever you cut any food group out of your diet. When I went back to meat after being vegetarian, I'd get horrifically sick every time I ate.

...and maybe you're lactose intolerant?