Wednesday, September 15, 2010

HELP!

| |

I really hate cleaning, and I am not very good at it. Sure most people don't like cleaning, but I haven't liked it since I was in preschool and I got in trouble because during "clean up time" I only walked around and pretended to pick up. I was picking up invisible objects and walking them over to the basket and pretending to drop it in. So it's in my blood, the whole not cleaning thing.

But here's my dilemma, I really hate a messy house. So I need some advice from those people whom actually "don't mind cleaning" or even better, those who find it cathartic. How can I motivate myself to clean the house?

I have figured out that my issue lies in the fact that I feel cleaning is a complete waste of time. The hours I spend cleaning could be spent taking violin lessons, or learning Japanese, or doing a fun project. So, any advice? Because at this point I am looking up house keepers on Craigs List, and I would prefer to hold off on hiring someone until Dan and I are both fully employed.

Thanks!

6 thoughts:

hanner said...

ugh. my first response is to just hire the housekeeper, because i can't stand cleaning OR a messy house either. hopefully dan is helpful with cleaning because robbie really isn't.

my only suggestion is to give yourself little goals for every day. for example, making my bed in the morning and washing my dish right after i eat something = doable. waiting till later when i'm even busier = not doable.

my sisters swear by fly lady, and while i can't really get past the horrible design of that page, most of her manageable tips are really useful. like always having an empty/clean sink. and then other things that are small tasks that will help you feel a little more organized about cleaning, instead of waiting until your house is a hell-hole and you just kind of give up and develop an ulcer. (this is what happens to me.)

so, i hope that helps. i feel your pain. working 40 hours a week, plus being in school, plus having a church calling, plus having some semblance of a life... it really leaves little time for having a liveable house, and if i don't do things in baby steps then i really can't handle it.

hanner said...

ok, actually reading through some of this fly lady stuff is making me laugh out loud. such a 90s webpage. but there is still useful stuff! i'd recommend looking at the FAQ (shiny sink, swish and swipe, the zones, weekly plan, etc.). anyway, good luck!

samsam said...

a really easy way to keep things clean and organized is to make sure that everything has a place! that way you know where everything goes and it only takes a second to put away.

also, with things like hanging up your towels and making your bed, don't make it too hard. if you don't like hanging up your towel get a hook rack for the back of your bathroom door and just throw it on there when you're done with it! or with your bed. get a really easy duvet that you can just kind of throw on and it looks good.

also, i like keeping my messes contained. for example, i'm really really really bad at hanging my clothes up and i'll try on like....4 things before i decide on one outfit and i hate hanging up clothes. so what i do is a have a laundry basket in the corner of my room and i just throw all the clothes that would be on my floor and....voila! clean floor. contained mess.

now, when it comes to cleaning up the kitchen after you've cooked. my motto, clean as you go. there are always tiny wait periods when you're cooking. letting the water boil, put away the pasta. letting the veggies simmer, put away the veggies, and spices. waiting for the sauce to heat up on the stove, put the utensils and dishes you've used in the dishwasher. by the time dinner is ready everything will be done and all you have to do after eating is put your dishes in the dishwasher and wipe down the counter and stove! so easy!

hope that helps! xoxoxo

caitlin said...

haha i love it. thanks guys!! and hannah, i looked at the fly lady page for .5 seconds, threw up, and then turned off my computer. sorry! i just couldn't do it.

Unknown said...

I like to have my all-purpose counter cleaner under every counter (in each bathroom and the kitchen) so I can wipe it down without thinking much. Or those nifty clorox wipes. Same thing with glass cleaner for the bathroom mirrors. And I agree with samsam--I'll have a bucket that I just place things I don't want to deal with at the moment, and then go through it once a week.

Also, once I convinced my hubs to switch over to body wash instead of bar soap, it made scrubbing the bath tub a million times easier.

Anonymous said...

maid. Its so worth it. Seriously every single penny. There is nothing better than coming on friday to a clean apartment and knowing glenn and I want argue over who's turn it is to fold, unload, and scrub. Make it your christmas present to each other.