As I mentioned before, Japan is really great with bicycles. Their track bikes are incredible, but I fell more in love with their 'around-town' bikes. Around town bikes in America are too bulky, or they are too upright. These bikes are casual and beautiful.
This was mine:
And here's one that I covet. Look at the brakes!
EVERYONE rides these bikes

So Dan and I have decided to try and replicate one of these bikes as best we can. But because we don't actually 'need' any more bikes (I have two road bikes and two beach cruisers) we decided to set a budget...$75.
We both found lady frames for free, now its just a matter of getting them working. We replaced Dan's chain and casette at the co-op, got him a saddle ($6 total) and he will need to buy new tires and tubes (about $30) and he is good to go. My bike, while I love the frame, needs a lot more work, new brakes and shifters, wheels, etc. But I am feeling hopeful.
We both found lady frames for free, now its just a matter of getting them working. We replaced Dan's chain and casette at the co-op, got him a saddle ($6 total) and he will need to buy new tires and tubes (about $30) and he is good to go. My bike, while I love the frame, needs a lot more work, new brakes and shifters, wheels, etc. But I am feeling hopeful.
2 thoughts:
how fun. i don't even have one bike (so hot here and everything is too spread out!)... love the way those bikes look, and can't wait to see the outcome of yours.
very cool project. I wish I knew that much about bikes - I was proud of myself for simply replacing my chain!
How much time do you spend at the co-op?
Post a Comment