Monday, August 31, 2009

Bike progress

| |

Our bikes are up and running, though still have a way to go.



My brakes need some work, and I am going to change the brake cables to a bright yellow, I also want the bar grips to be yellow, though that will be tougher to find. I need a bell and a generated light as well. Here is my price break down thus far:
Frame: free (used)
Front wheel: $10 with tube and tire (used)
Back wheel: $15 with tube, tire, and freewheel (used)
Truing wheels: $3 did them myself with 10 minutes of instruction
Basket: $18 (new)

Running total: $46.00



Dan's bike actually cost much more than we anticipated. We couldn't find any used 26" tires, so we put new tubes and tires on his bike. He will also put new bars on his bike and new brake cabling. His total as yet:

Tubes: $6 for two (new)
Tires: $30 for two (new)
Chain: $1 (used)
Front basket: $18 (new)
Back rack: $15 (used- a little pricy, but a unique shape)
Replaced bearings, cleaned hub cone: $6 (did himself with 10 minutes of instruction)
Dan's total: $76.00

They ride pretty well, we tested them today with a grocery run to Trader Joes, and managed to carry back 50lbs of groceries. I can't wait until they are all set.

At Dan's rate he will be over our $100 budget, considering his new bars are $28, but I decided to share my budget with him so hopefully together we can be under $200.

3 thoughts:

samsam said...

looking SO good!

Anonymous said...

Great bikes!

Mom

Unknown said...

Love the budgeting!