Wednesday, November 14, 2007

you know what...

| |

I am sick of feeling like I have to defend choices I make or things I do. I try to do the right thing and most of the time I feel good about the decisions I make, so why I should I defend it to anyone? Why do I feel like I need to explain why Dan and I are getting married in May- both to Mormons who raise an eyebrow at a long engagement- and Non Mormons who raise an eyebrow at a 'shotgun' wedding. Why when I say that I am going to visit Dan in London do I have to emphasize that parents will be there? Why when someone remarks with surprise, "you are Mormon?!" do I feel the need to defend that I am still 'normal'? Why do I feel judged when I explain to people that Dan will follow me to grad school? I am happy with myself, my beliefs, and the decisions I have made in my life- why should I explain myself to an acquaintance or stranger? I know everyone has the right to think what they want or pass judgment, but I don't understand it, I am generally very accepting.

The other thing that bugs me, actually this probably bothers me most, is that these strangers/acquaintances who pass judgment never say anything to me. But I can see it in their facial expressions, body language, or the way say, oh!?. If they would ask why I am doing something I would be more than happy to explain, but when they make assumptions and don't bother to clarify with me- I get really annoyed. Either talk to me or MYOB.

9 thoughts:

hanner said...

aahhh welcome to my life, it's so hard to get used to!

Whits said...

totally agree. good for you for not defending. I sometimes feel scrutiny too for being a single woman in law school and planning a career. I think most non-cookie cutter mormons feel a little like us.

Where are you heading to grad school? congrats!

mrs. everything said...

I didn't know what MYOB meant until 10th grade.

canne said...

i love you and am really happy about your grad school plans

Anonymous said...

well maybe if you werent pregnant, no one would think its a shotgun wedding.

samsam said...

amen sista!!!!! i love you i love you i love you. i'm sending your boots so soon!

manda said...

maybe if you weren't pregnant, no one would think its a shotgun wedding.

HAHAHAHAHA

that's the best comment!

ANJ said...

girl, i totally hear you. you are not the only independent, strong-willed mormon woman out there. we gotta stick together! let's break the mold.

Nate H. said...

hm. a good mormon wouldn't feel that way. try reading the ensign more often.