Sunday, July 12, 2009

these are a few of my favorite things...about japan

| |

vending machines:
are everywhere. indoors, outdoors, major streets, back alleys. but they only sell drinks. food vending machines do not exist....my drink of choice: aquarius.


bathing:
you have probably heard this before, but the japanese really know how to bathe.
  • before you get in the bath tub, you shower and get clean. that way you aren't soaking in your own filth.
  • the you sit when you shower, and you use basins along with the shower head. you also turn off the shower when you are scrubbing or putting in shampoo. this saves so much water!
  • their bathtubs are human sized. most american bathtubs are too small to relax, and you lie down. sittting in a tub is much more relaxing than lying down
  • the bath is burning hot. i love my baths scalding, they get the temperature just right



sitting on the floor:
we eat on the floor, sleep on the floor, do studio work on the floor. brillant. who needs furniture? it's too rigid, and doesn't allow flexibility of space. but japanese rooms can be used for any function.

1 thoughts:

Shane said...

I love this post. I too found it very difficult to express how amazing the Japanese landscape is. It was always much easier for me to talk about little things like vending machines and bathrooms. I found a vending machine once (in Kyoto oddly enough) that carried hot soups and curry along with the usual drinks. I love Aquarius and the seven other vending machine drinks that taste basically the same. I don't think that you're much of a soda drinker but my favorite drink is Melon Cream Soda. I've actually looked into installing tatami mats into a room in my (future) house. I haven't totally given up that idea yet.