I have avoided writing anything serious about my experience here in Japan, because I don't know how to formulate the words to describe what I feel. Being here has not only changed my outlook on architecture and design, but life as well.
Here are some of the places where I have felt most inspired.

Tokaian: Garden of the Soul
This is the most incredible rock garden I have ever seen. Walking through the threshold and seeing this garden for the first time was such an amazing experience. I literally felt shortness of breath and fulness in my heart. sounds cheesy, but it kind of was. (picture stolen from nick, i forgot my camera that day)
My watercolor of this space, doesn't do much justice.

Koyasan Cemetery
In the mountain town of Nara, this cemetery has ancient cedars, beautiful moss, amazing stone work. The path of the cemetery leads to the Kobo Daishi Mausoleum, a very sacred place so no cameras allowed. Next to the mausoleum is an incredible building filled floor to ceiling with orange lit lanters. ( I had to steal the last image off the internet, because no photos were permitted)
Arashiyama: Katsura River
We come here often to swim, but I love just sitting by river to think and paint. The layering of scenery here is incredible, and watching the sunset here on the fourth of July was one of my most memorable experiences.
3 thoughts:
Dearest Caitlin,
I love your observations, photos and watercolors. You have done an amazing job of capturing the "magnificence" of Japan. We are so excited for Dan to join you. We know you will have an even more wonderful adventure!
XOXO
Mom
i love your watercolors!
uughh....I just got internet back after being in China for the week. I'm waiting for my connecting flight in Narita and looking at your blog and it makes me really sad to leave. Like heart-hurting sad (but very happy at the same time to go back to life in OR). I'll be here a while so an email will probably be headed your way!
Post a Comment