Sunday, October 7, 2007

i'm your pusherman

| |

I went from unemployment to having three jobs and a potential fourth in one weeks time. Currently, I work at a 50s diner as hostess, expo, and ice cream scooper (mind you i applied for the server position) this job is ok, i don't mind the actual work, but the pay is poor, and the bosses aren't too lenient on sick days (both my trainers were dreadfully sick but not allowed to go home- how sanitary). They also aren't lenient on uniform requirements. They told me white tennis shoes, so I bought a nice pair of slip ons, boss said they were unacceptable and I had to wear these awful things instead

Imagine these honkers with this dress or a pair of skinny jeans- woof!

.

I have a second interview tomorrow with Starbucks, Starbucks is much more reputable than the diner, they pay more, and I can get bennies- Downside? early/late hours and I am Mormon.

So at first I thought as a Mormon I shouldn't sell a product that I myself don't consume (well caffeinated anyway). Then I came up with this rationalization:
-If I won't sell coffee why in hell am I selling mass quantities of meat and dairy (which I also don't consume)? Fueling America's obesity, scooping cancer-fueling casein onto waffle dipped cones. I feel more passionately about the negative effects of milk than I do about the negative effects of caffeine or coffee.

And this is what is so ironic about it all, if I told ward members that I worked at Starbucks I am certain I would get a few eyebrow raises and subtle remarks. But if I said I worked at a Diner and Ice cream parlor they would surely respond with enthusiasm. Now not everyone agrees that milk kills, but no one can argue that a gravy covered chicken fried steak won't kill you faster than a tall latte...so here's to hoping I get the job

3 thoughts:

mrs. everything said...

I would feel way better about working at Starbucks- although for me it would be more not wanting to work for the big bad corporation rather than peddling coffee.

manda said...

you're such a leggy hot pink babe!

samsam said...

you are such babe! yes! such babe! i miii-i-i-i-sss yooou-u-u-u-u (said in whiney voice).