Sunday, September 23, 2007

These idle hands, they do the devil's working

| |

Yesterday I decided to sit down and contemplate why I haven't been making more headway on my applications and portfolio. Here are the reasons I came up with:

1. So completely engrossed in Phillip Pullman's young adult trilogy His Dark Materials that I spend too much time reading.
2. Looking at random Cougars' wedding albums is too much fun
3. I told myself I couldn't start sewing shirts until I found a mannequin (but now that I have one, there is no excuse)
4. I have been so sleepy lately that I take long afternoon naps
5. I justify my undeserving relaxation time because I watch calculus videos while I veg.
6. I stare idly at the objects on my desk.
7. I surf the web until Dan gets online and we can chat.

- You can see why I have stopped blogging, I haven't been doing anything-

This needs to stop- I have to finish my portfolio and essays soon so I can have someone look over and proofread. I decided not to get a job or take more than one class this semester because I thought I needed all the time I could get- but clearly too much time just translates into wasted time. So I have come up with a solution. I will pack more things into the day and so I leave myself no choice but to use free time as Grad School time. Here's what I will do-

1. Babysit more hours
2. Take tennis lessons once a week
3. Join the Coronado Master's swim team
4. Go to church activities
5. Get out of the house and go to the library
6. Read only when nothing more productive can be done. For instance tomorrow while I wait at the DMV.

3 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

mom and dad made me get a job.

caitlin said...

is this a slight? if so i commend you for making it anonymously.

cathie, chris and my instructor from harvard suggested that i hold off on getting a full time job because getting the applications in by december takes priority. so i babysit.

Anonymous said...

i read your blog at work so obviously i am way busier than you.