I don't really know enough about current politics to decide one way or another with Cheney's visit. I hear contradicting things from different sources, my dad, who is perhaps the most politically up to date person I know, thinks that Cheney is terrific; while a lot of my friends who seem educated on the subject think he is terrible.
As far as his visit goes, I think that by asking Cheney to speak, BYU becomes partisan; however, despite one's politics, having the Vice President speak is an honor. Although, Cheney seems to be really controversial and so maybe its not such a good idea. Anyway, the point of this blog isn't to express my confusion, but to say how proud I am of my friends and fellow students for being so active: organizing a peaceful protest, arranging alternative commencement speakers, raising money for alternate speakers etc. And despite my uncertainty about commencement, I fully support all those who are actually out doing something, and in turn proving that not all Mormons think alike. Many people think of The Church as being demanding and inhibiting, but through activism we can show that The Church does allow open discourse and communication. I think its important that people fight (peacefully) for what they think is right, even if its on a small scale.
My home teacher said about the Cheney protest, "All I know is that I raised my hand in conference and sustained the first presidency. Therefore I support Cheney." This really upset me because it suggests that those who don't follow Cheney, or those who advocate peace, or even those who are uncertain, are unworthy members of the Church and don't support the First Presidency. Frankly, I don't think choosing the BYU commencement speaker falls in line with Gordon B. Hinckley's priorities. He is president of a world-wide church, with millions of members. Furthermore, Cheney invited himself.
In short, I applaud all those who are actively supporting a cause they feel passionate about.
Friday, April 20, 2007
Cheney
|
|
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 thoughts:
I think it's safe to say that I echo your sentiments completely. I'm glad you got it out in writing.
Post a Comment