Sunday, August 19, 2012

Day at the beach

| |

This weekend we decided to take advantage of the rarely occurring sunshine, and head to Southend-on-the-Sea with some good friends of ours. Southend has become really chavy (Think The Only Way is Essex), but it still has a lot of it's old seaside charm. It was wonderful, maybe one of my favorite days in London so far (even though we were in Essex, not London)

This is Dan and me in the morning, taking the train to meet our friends. 
Just arrived!
 Seaside charm! This is the Cliff Lift from 1912, I don't think it's still in service, but from what I can gather, it was a pretty useless train that would take you up the hillside, about only 30m, and it probably took longer than walking the stairs. But it's amazing, and I love that it hasn't been torn down.



We found these amazing Ice Lollies, they're the frozen version of my mom's favorite British candy, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the colouring was made from beets, turmeric, etc. as opposed to artificial colouring. Actually, side note, you'll find that sweets and things here as a whole are still made with natural sugars and ingredients as opposed to corn syrup and chemicals- I love this.
 We then walked, "The World's Longest Pleasure Pier", a 1.8 mile boardwalk, with another small, slow moving train. This train is still in operation, and we took that back.






0 thoughts: